Monday, May 28, 2012

Monday Musings {In memory}

I have a special place in my heart for Arlington National Cemetery. I will never forget the first time I walked the grounds and witnessed the ceremonial changing of the guard. A special feeling came over me. I came knowing these men and women gave their lives for my freedom, but at that moment I felt it. I drove through 624 acres of honored sacrifice, bringing to light the addage that 'freedom is not free', and felt a reverence.
A special ceremony occurs on Memorial Day here, including the laying of American flags at each tombstone. This sight never fails to bring tears to my eyes.

Courtesy of garbc.com

Courtesy of warnewsupdates.blogspot.com
As we take this time to relax and enjoy the people around us, let's remember to have a spirit of gratitude. And we can involve our kids in lots of ways, most simply by teaching our children to be grateful. Another great thing to do with the kids is to write a card of thanks. Visit 
{www.amillionthanks.org}
for an address of where to send letters of encouragement or thanks. May we honor these sacrifices and be moved to do our part in this great nation.

They are dead; but they live in each Patriot's breast,
And their names are engraven on honor's bright crest.
~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

1 comment: